Monday, May 19, 2008

The rumors are true...

Wouldn't you know it? Four days before the release of the highly anticipated "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", I happened to find the hardcover novelization of the film (along with reprints of the 12 Indy novels from the 1990's and the novelizations of the first three films) at Wal-Mart. Naturally, I couldn't resist taking a peek at some of the pages of the book, since it's going to be a while before I pick up the novel at all.

Of course, they (being, naturally, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg) kept the major surprises of the new film's story until the final quarter of the film. And then of course there were the rumors that were rampant for months. Now it can be told once and for all:

Mutt Williams IS indeed the son of Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood.

How he got the last name of Williams is beyond me. I can only surmise that Marion married someone sometime later whose last name was Williams, though she still kept her maiden name, while she kept the Williams surname for her and Indy's son.

Somehow I'm not too surprised, given all of the rampant rumors over the months. And then there was the mention that Mutt would be Indy's son reported months before in one of the teen tabloid magazines that my stepdaughter happened to pick up. Oh, and you'll get to see a wedding at the end of the film, too!

So those are the big things we'll get to see in this new movie, along with a rousing adventure from start to finish. Somehow I feel like I've let myself down in the same way that I ruined it for myself about the big spoilers in "Return of the Jedi" from 25 years ago.

So sue me. Then again, you can't sue something that's publicly out there for everyone to consume, especially this close to game time. Nickel give you a dollar that someone's already spoiled that information elsewhere by now.

See you this Thursday at the starting line!

No comments: