Monday, May 12, 2008

Everything would happen on a Monday...

Well, you know how much Mondays sometimes suck. That's only because everything that could possibly happen on a Monday has happened thus far today.

First off, I had a good interview with the principal at a middle school here in Mississippi for an English teacher's slot on staff. That would be a wonderful way for me to get my feet back on solid ground here, given my experience as a teacher (not to mention my work in Alabama in curriculum development and management). I'm supposed to hear something by the end of this week, so that would definitely be a step in the right direction.

But I was lucky enough to have even made it to the interview in the first place today. Earlier I'd been battling a serious case of diarrhea and had to go to the store to get some medicine to counteract it. On the way out of the driveway, my car died out on me for no uncertain reason. From what I could tell, the engine just up and died on me. I'm thinking and hoping that it's not the timing belt. That happened two years ago in Huntsville when I was on the way for a routine checkup - the car just up and died for no reason, and it turned out to be the timing belt as well. Anyway, it meant calling for a tow truck to haul my car over to the local Chevron station to find out what the problem is. No word on it yet.

As if that weren't enough, I got a callback from DirecTV asking me to come in for an interview this Wednesday - in Huntsville! This after putting in many months before for a job there, and only now after I've relocated back to Mississippi do I get a call to interview for DirecTV in Huntsville! Turns out that they called the house, April gave them my mother's phone number in Mississippi, and called me here for the job interview. I really don't know if I could go back to Alabama, knowing that it would give Lois many more opportunities to raise hell toward me and accuse me of a bunch of false malarky for no uncertain reason. I've already endured enough hell from Lois, not to mention feeling betrayed that April would support her every false accusation and not stick up for me one time. I'm not going back. My mother agrees with me.

And I've got another interview tomorrow with a temp staffing agency in Jackson, where I'm to bring my driver's license and Social Security card to fill out the I-9 paperwork and do the standard drug testing (which of course I"ll pass with flying colors). I'm hoping that I'll get something - anything - soon so I can get back on my feet working once again. Then I'll go back to Alabama and get Lily moved here.

And the "Indiana Jones" trilogy is being re-released on DVD tomorrow in separate discs to hype up the forthcoming "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" film on the 22nd. This past weekend channels left and right have been running a slew of Harrison Ford films to hype the new movie - "Witness", "Patriot Games", "Working Girl", and of course "Star Wars" and the "Indy" trilogy (the latter four just yesterday alone!). All they're doing is stripping the fourth disc off the previous box set release and including a few new featurettes, including a trailer for the upcoming Lego Indiana Jones game for XBox 360 and Playstation 3. I don't know if it's worth shelling out the bucks just to get a few new features. The original box set was pretty comprehensive. And still MIA are the original five TV documentaries from the 1980's on the making of the trilogy - oddly enough, the "Raiders" and "Last Crusade" documentaries were issued on VHS, but the "Temple of Doom" docs weren't, and none of them were released to DVD in an official capacity! To further add insult to injury, where's the original "Temple of Doom" teaser on the DVDs? Nowhere to be found but only on the head of the first VHS release of "Raiders". Thankfully I was able to transfer all of that material, as well as a collection of DVD trailers and a feature on soundtrack deconstruction (using "The Last Crusade" as an example) onto DVD+R for my collection, expanding that set to eight discs. And now there's several new TV spots for the new DVD releases and the upcoming film that I've got - looking forward to getting those burned to disc soon!

Gotta run for now... the dog's getting his vaccine shots. Maybe I'll get the "Indy" DVDs tomorrow, maybe I won't. Is it worth shelling out the buck again? Your guess is as good as mine. My buddy Andy Dursin at the Aisle Seat doesn't think so.

No comments: