Saturday, May 26, 2007

Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition - Part 1

This is the first in a series of installments of what is perhaps one of the best DVD collections to come out at the end of last year. And with its re-release this coming Tuesday, May 29, I'm surprised that I've only seen one web site - The Digital Bits - give it a fairly detailed commentary. While Bill Hunt looked at a number of the segments in the set, others got the short shrift. And other web sites only analyzed a couple of the separate DVD releases that entail the 14-disc collection. What I hope to do is give a really detailed breakdown and analysis of everything in the entire set, including those discs that got the short shrift.

There are very few times in my life and years of reviewing different publications, DVD releases, and products where I just come out and give my bottom-line thought right at the start. This is one of those times. Listen up, boys and girls, because I will say this only once: Warner Home Video has done a most spectacular job with its 14-disc release of the "Superman" Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD set! Christmas definitely arrived early for me in my home! There have been only three other titles and/or collections where I've seen such an impressive and staggering array of film and content in a single presentation - Fox's "Alien" Quadrilogy (along with the 20th anniversary single-disc release of the original "Alien"), New Line's "Lord of the Rings" extended trilogy (along with the two-disc theatrical sets), and Warner's equally massive and impressive 10-disc Ultimate "Matrix" Collection (which just hit stores in HD-DVD earlier this week) and its individual releases. After all of this, could the ante be upped any further? At first I didn't think so - color me fooled. I have to hand it to Warner, they know how to deliver the goods when it comes to their compilations, taking its rightful place alongside Fox and New Line as a studio that continually seeks to provide top-of-the-line products for its consumers. With this latest compilation of one of the most loved (if not at times unfairly criticized) franchises, Warner has provided "Superman" fans with a true treasure trove sure to satisfy any fano fthe Man of Steel or its most notable and recognizable portayer, the late Christopher Reeve.

Right away I should tell you that all the "Superman" films in this collection - as well as the documentary "Look! Up in the Sky - The Amazing Story of Superman" - are individually available, while the first four films are also compiled together in the eight-disc Christopher Reeve "Superman" Collection. Dollar-wise, when you start adding up all of the releases, you're actually investing more money for fewer discs. Of course, there is the argument of wanting only specific titles - the four-disc "Superman" Special Edition, the two-disc "Superman II" Special Edition, and the Richard Donner Cut of "Superman II" - and that's an argument I can respect. But by breaking down the cost of each film in the entire 14-disc set, you wind up paying less and getting more in the 14-disc set. As someone who likes to look for good bargains overall and get some added perks thrown in, I had my eye on this set from the word go. (My wife will disagree with me, though!)

In my next installment I will analyze the four-disc "Superman" SE. Until then, have a safe and wonderful Memorial Day holiday! See you next time!

No comments: