Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A couple of additional thoughts...

I just read on The Digital Bits that Warner Home Video is finally going forward with the DVD release of Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet" in a 2-disc special edition on August 14. I'm a serious "Hamlet" buff ever since graduate school, when my teacher, George Pittman, got me into "Hamlet" because of Mel Gibson and Franco Zeffirelli. This one looks like it's gonna be another must-add to my collection!

HTF had its latest chat with Warner Home Video last night on lots of upcoming TV releases in the coming months - here's the URL: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/050807htfchat.html.

One thing that left me a bit disappointed with the chat was the mention that no further seasons of the "Adventures of Superboy" series from 1989-1992 (featuring Gerard Christopher) were planned. While it wasn't mentioned, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why. First off, when the first season finally came out on DVD last summer, reportedly the sales were very low, and as you know, sales tallies determine whether a series' later seasons will arrive on DVD. Second, there's the continuing legal problems DC Comics has been having with the heirs of Siegel and Shuster over the rights to the Superboy character (which has also prevented the release of the Filmation animated "Superboy" segments from the 1960's onto DVD).

News like this only encourages the bootleggers to pirate DVD copies of the series and make a killing off them on eBay. If you truly care about a DVD product, and you want to see a legitimate release of the remaining "Superboy" seasons, write to Warner Home Video and express your thoughts. I know I will.

And on that note, I'm outta here! :)

No comments: