Monday, June 23, 2008

What I believe...

Looks like death is bringing more and more well-known people home in the past month and a half alone. We've lost too many popular, productive people since May. Among them:

Earle Hagen (who composed the famous "whistle" theme to "The Andy Griffith Show")
Alexander Courage (composer of the original "Star Trek" theme and the score to "Superman IV", which was finally released earlier this year)
Joseph Pevney (director of many original "Star Trek" episodes)
Robert H. Justman (co-producer on the original "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation")
Harvey Korman (longtime member of the Carol Burnett show during the 1960's and 1970's, and who can forget his tongue-in-cheek hilarious role as Hedley Lamarr in "Blazing Saddles"?)
director Sydney Pollack (who directed one of my favorite 1980's comedies, "Tootsie")
Stan Winston (makeup artist who helped design and create the looks for the Terminator and the dinosaurs of "Jurassic Park")
Tim Russert (political analyst and host of NBC's "Meet the Press")

And now George Carlin's gone, too. Somehow I'm not surprised, because Carlin was a professed atheist.

This is really starting to creep me out more than you know. It just goes to prove the old adage that the mortality rate in this world is 10 out of every 10.

I guess what really matters most is how we live our lives; how we take care of ourselves physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually; and how we serve, honor, and live before the Lord God. It shouldn't be any of this Universalist philosophy of, "If I do good, I am good. If I do bad, I am bad. That's my religion." Nor should it be, "We should try to behave as though God were watching," because that statement is hogwash - God is ALWAYS watching. It should be following the Biblical precepts and in accepting God's son Jesus as Lord and Savior of our lives.

That's what I believe.

No comments: