Monday, September 24, 2007

Hasta la vista, HTF...

For some reason I can't figure out, the Home Theater Forum - which in my opinion has had some of the best reader participation online over the years - doesn't want any other competition/promotion of reviews on other sites out there. Apparently someone got pissed off because I've got my DVD review blog site going, and they don't like it. But yet they'll let other people promote their own personally run web sites, blogs, etc. on there and not say anything to them about it? There's who knows how many out there, and I get singled out for no reason? And on my birthday, no less? Smacks of a hypocritical double standard, if you ask me.

Remember that old "Andy Griffith" episode where the little sales guy with the stand was trying to make a living, and the skinflint businessman was continually trying to run him off because he felt the little guy was "treading" on his property? Well, I feel like the little guy right now. Look around you and you'll see who knows how much competition is going on in our society, with X number of gas stations, clothing stores, and fast food restaurants all in the same territory competing for business, and nobody's giving in to some corporate muscle. There's room for everyone.

And yet someone whines and gripes about how I'm reviewing DVDs on my blog site and threatens me not to cross their territory? Yet they let other people do who knows what on their forum and promote their other web sites and not say anything? Well, that's why I've got my own site going, where I can review the latest film and TV DVDs, without a bunch of snobby double-minded people moderating it and saying "We can have this person on there but not that one." I've never violated any rules on HTF, I've always been respectful with my thoughts on there, and this is the thanks I get? If the holier-than-thous at HTF don't like it, screw 'em. I used to have a lot of respect for them... not anymore. It's their loss, not mine.

No comments: