Friday, April 27, 2007

Flash... NAAAAHHHH!!!

A few random musings to share with you this afternoon before I call it a week...

First of all, earlier this week I was really stoked when I heard about Universal's forthcoming DVD release of "Flash Gordon: Savior of the Universe" Edition on August 7. Here was a campy movie from my teen years that I liked all too well - perhaps it was that equally campy Queen score that did it for me, I don't know. But when I saw the cover artwork from Alex Ross, that just blew me away! Talk about doing no wrong - the man is an absolute genius! He is to comics what Norman Rockwell was to the Saturday Evening Post during the 20th century. That alone convinced me to consider getting the DVD...

...until I heard about the bonus features on DVD Review that were going to be included. There's only two paltry new featurettes, one on Alex Ross (definitely worth checking out), and the other with screenwriter Lorenzo Semple, Jr. on writing a "classic". His lines are so memorable... "This Ming's a psycho!" (yawn / snort / lol!) Add to it the first chapter of the 1936 "Flash Gordon" serial with Buster Crabbe, and that's it? Sheesh, that's not a whole lot to look forward to, is it?

Why is it that other regions get better bonus features for this movie and not R1? I may just pass on it. Then again, there is that Alex Ross cover art and featurette...

Two quick non-plugs now... "Dreamgirls": forget it. It's a waste of time. Besides, you couldn't get me to watch (or listen to) anything with that B------ Knowles in it. Why does she look and act like she just came out of the red-light district? Bottom line: she's not all that.

"Catch and Release": If you like Jennifer Garner, and she is definitely beautiful at that, you may like it. Me, however, I won't check it out at all. Why in the h--- did they have to ruin it by allowing that damn Kevin Smith in it? The pig can't act, can't write, can't direct, not to mention the fact that everything he does just plain sucks. Not to mention that piece of garbage of a "script" for that thankfully aborted "Superman" movie from the late 90's. He'd be better off going back to his mother's basement and smoking pot. (There, I finally got it out there.)
Sorry, Andy, I know you have your preferences, and you're a good buddy, but this is one time I have to disagree. I'll just leave it there.

That's it for me. Next Tuesday is another full-length review. See you later!

No comments: